9.15.2013

Week 2: Predictions, reality and more... Oh my!

Hey Y'all it's your FAVORITE SportsGal89 IN the buildin'! I must say I am enjoying being back and being in the full swing of my writing and sport watching. It has been fun getting my voice back and hopefully contributing to your love of sports as well.
  I think that if I am going to take this seriously, I do need to study the craft a little more, so my next task is to read and keep up with sports bloggers so I can really craft my own voice.

But that's not why we are here right now. We are here because I am going to do what I should have done last week, and that was write my predictions.

Yes I missed the Jets- Pats game on Thursday but Sunday Funday and Madness Monday (don't ask) are where it's at!
Game        Keesha's prediction                  Reality
STL- ATL (ATL)                                       ATL (31-24)
CAR-BUF  (CAR)                                      BUF (24-23)*
MIN-CHI   (CHI)                                      CHI (31-30)          
WSH- GB   (GB)                                       GB (38-20)
MIA - IND  (IND)                                    MIA (24-20)
DAL- KC     (DAL)                                    KC (17-16)*
SD- PHI       (SD)                                      SD (33-30)
CLE- BAL    (BAL)                                    BAL (14-6)
TEN- HOU  (HOU)                                  HOU (30-24) 
DET-ARI      (ARI)                                    ARI (25-21)
NO-TB          (NO)                                    NO (16-14)

JAC-OAK       (JAC)                                   OAK (19-9)*
DEN-NYG aka Manning Bowl    (DEN)      DEN (41-23)
SF-SEA          (SF)                                     SEA   (29-3)*
PIT-CIN         (PIT)                                   CIN (20-10)*

Not so bad for my predictions huh? 10 picks out of the 15 games..

This Week's notables:

Buffalo's win:
  I think people will continue to talk about this game as long as EJ Manuel continues to develop as a great QB and leader on his team. The way this game ended was phenomenal. Buffalo was down minutes to spare, the rook Manuel at the helm. Remarkable play that he manipulated perfectly with his receiver wide open in the corner of the endzone. If you didn't see that highlight you need to. As a fan of the game, it is moments like those that you remember why you fell in love with the sport in the first place. It's in moments like those that the money, the cars, the superficial things that athletes focus on when they make it, fall away and you remember that how you play, what you do on the field is exactly you were supposed to. It was an awesome sight and what eclipsed the game and the win for Buffalo.

Baltimore vs. Cleveland:
  There are teams in the NFL that are just expected to win, there are teams in the NFL that are just expected to lose. In all honesty, Baltimore is a team expected to win and Cleveland is a team expected to lose. Baltimore was expected to win in this match-up and yes the result was correct, they won. But they played so sloppy for a championship winning team. With offensive injuries Baltimore relied solely on their defense, as they should and it was their defense that carried them through game and successfully brought them the win.

Battle for the West: Seahawks vs. SF:
These two teams are the teams that are dominating the West. Of any game to watch in Week 2 aside from MNF, this was the game to watch. You have two of the fastest QBs who run when they have the opportunity, two of the best offenses and two of the best defenses in the 2013-2014 season. Watching this game was going to be fun AND it was! Seahawks defense dominated that game! They put the hurt on SF's running game and passing game. There was not a lot that the SF offense could do and it was really the Defense that did work. With that said, the Seahawks had an altogether package. Their offense and defense was seamless. Between Richard Sherman's spectacular coverage to the defense just stopping SF left and right, watching this team play was beautiful. The golden moment goes to Marshawn Lynch- yes, yes, I know he's a sports fan favorite, but I'm going to tell you why he gets the award though- there was a moment in the third or fourth quarter where Wilson and Lynch just hit a rhythm... Wilson throws this sweet little pass to Lynch who runs it out and then sees that he does not have any defenders on him. Stops, takes a look back and then WALKS into the endzone! Who does that?! Only Marshawn Lynch- STUPID for that one!

While this game didn't have the likely ending I wanted (SF taking the W) it was the highlight of my week 2- until the Steelers played in MNF.

Pittsburgh vs. Cincy:
 Now y'all know that I am a STEELERS fan! I have been for the larger part of my adult life, so yes they would make the notables particularly because they are my team and I am FOCUSED on them. My team is STRUGG-U-LING!! We have released several players, restructuring our team with new rookies, trying to figure out what we are going to do with last week's rash of injuries. It's been a trying two weeks. We suffered through Pre-Season and I was just looking for a glimmer of hope that they would do great! And HELLO, it's CINCY!
  Game started slow.. But we picked up speed and ended the first half with a great drive and tied the game. Then it went downhill, Cincy had a few great runs and then took off with a 20-10 lead and win.

How do we come back from this?
What do we need to do to get better?

It all rests on the team and the coaching staff. I would love for my team to win games, but right now I am more focused on their ability to develop as a better strong Steelers team. We'll see how they do in Week 3!


And that's all she wrote folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment