9.11.2013

Week 1: Gridiron Greats go down... Steelers Fall hard, RGIII

Hey Hey! It's your FAVORITE SportsGal in the Buildin', bringing you , what I hope is another entertaining edition of my sports antics.

Thursday, September 5, 2013 kicked-off the 2013-2014 Regular Season of the NFL and brought back to me one of my true loves- Football! It has been an INTERESTING Week 1 to say the least...

Let me start with my team, though because clearly we are going to be struggling this season. I wrote a blog a little while back that talked about the concerns others were raising about our offensive running and receiving abilities  with the loss of Mike Wallace. I figured we were going to have some struggles adjusting in this area and also on the defensive side, with the loss of such power in James Harrison.

Whelp, what I imagined as a slow start due to not winning a dang pre-season game and just some sloppiness on the side of the Steelers, resulted in one of the poorest performances I have ever witnessed in my team. Let's start with the fact that they could not catch a rhythm, that the only points they had scored for a while was off of a freaking SAFETY! Let's also talk about injuries that are now pretty much going to shut us down in Pouncey and Foote.

Looking at this season ahead of us, our team still has a lot of work to do. We are in this weird space of having too many old heads and having to teach rookies how to play in the NFL. We might win a few games, but I will be honest, the likelihood of the boys achieving the 7th ring and making the playoffs is going to be a long road ahead. But hey, we are a team and have a history of powering through adversity. And although I can be somewhat realistic about what they are looking like right now, I will still every Sunday, be glad to where that Black and Gold and swing that Terrible Towel.

The highlight of the game has been made into a lovely GIF, courtesy of the one the only Troy Polamalu .... It is definitely something that made my day after their brutal battle on the field, so if you are part of #SteelersNation, I hope it's something that brightens yours as well.

Week 1 Recap:
 Broncos vs. Ravens- 
 The game that many will probably talk about is the Kickoff Game between the Broncos and the Ravens. Peyton Manning has been the focal point of the NFL--how would he be, would his neck issues of the past come into play, would he resemble the Peyton of before etc. Whelp let's just say he didn't disappoint. 7 TDs in one game! Between him and his offensive targets(Julius Thomas, Damariyus Thomas, Wes Welker), whoever had selected the Broncos for their Fantasy Football definitely had a large lead as the games continued through the weekend! The Broncos ultimately stunned the Ravens- reigning SuperBowl Champs. It'll be interesting to see how well they continue through the season.

Other notables:
   Saints and Falcons- Saints came up with a great win during this game against their rivals. The Falcons definitely put up a good fight, but the Saints came up victorious!

 49ers vs. GB- I was excited to watch this game and wasn't the least disappointed by how it turned out. Slow at first, but then it picked up, like they all seem to do, with SF proving to be a contender again for the Ring. We'll see how well these Bay Area boys will do in their last season at the famed Candlestick Park.

Dallas vs. Giants- The boys in Blue, had a horrible game. I won't lie I picked them to win against the Cowgirls, in reality I would pick ANY team to win against Jones' girls.. but whatever. The Giants didn't really start strong and have the solid game play that they normally do. In fact Eli looked like this was his first game then someone who had a little more control like we are used to. Even though compared to Romo he had the better game 450 Yards and 4 TDs, he also had 3 Interceptions which really hurt their rhythm early as the game got started. In total the Giants had 6 turnovers, which allowed the Cowboys to capitalize on it and take the win, despite a hard hit and scare from Romo.

Eagles vs. Redskins- Being in a city where the rivalry is real, is interesting. The Philly vs. DC sports battle is always fun to watch, primarily because I am not invested in it as much as everyone else. But it is something I keep my eye on when I do have the time. It doesn't hurt that their performance was featured as the MNF kick-off either.  So what can you hope for with RGIII? Well, let's see he was about to play in his first game since his injury and surgery. He trained as far as ESPN propaganda had featured in the made for tv short film! Lolz.. Enough, I'll stop... But anyways, what we saw on Monday night was a quick response from Redskins fans to immediately trash RGIII and throw him under the bus when things clearly weren't going his way. Commentators on MNF, spoke about him being unable to plant his foot and really set himself properly to throw accurately and as fiercely as he had before. Additionally, his playing in this game is the first time that he was the most active target- let's be honest, practice is practice, but you aren't trying to hurt your star player when you need him ready and healthy. But just as quickly as the boos and trash talking came, Redskins fans rallied with RGIII as he and his team found a rhythm late in the third quarter. Sadly though it wasn't enough to stop the slaughtering that the Eagles were putting on them.

Clearly there were other highlights, but these were the ones I watched.

Now my only commentary, being that I have a Fantasy Football team, paying attention to these games is much more interesting. I am enjoying the game in a different way. Honestly I didn't think I could love this game anymore than I did, but  with the Fantasy component, it is really growing on me and I am becoming more obssessed with scores and seeing how the other people in my league are matching up.

Well, that's all she wrote folks until next week.. When I'll bring you my predictions for the games!



No comments:

Post a Comment