1.20.2014

"Sounding Off": What WE'RE all missing when it comes to Richard Sherman

Hey Y'all, It's your favorite (hopefully) SportsGal89 Innnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn the Buildin'!
 So today I bring to you one of the bigger stories from Sunday's games, and it's not just about the coverage with the teams now FINALLY being decided for the Super Bowl.



So let's chat Richard Sherman. If you have been watching ESPN or any news recaps of the game you will know that at the end of the SF vs. Seahawks game, Richard Sherman was the critical player ensuring a Seahawks win with a tip to his teammate Smith for the interception that cost SF the game and solidified the Seahawks run into the Super Bowl.

What followed was the most interesting. So Sherman and Michael Crabtree, like many opponents have been back and forth in the media talking smack about who is going to win blah blah blah. On the field the game of course is chippy. Sherman had been covering Crabtree, whom he beat out for that ball.

Sherman at the end of his celebration runs to Crabtree, smacks him on the butt and puts out his hand, to extend it for a handshake. Now this is what he claims his actions were, but we don't hear what he might have said. To the extended intention of a handshake, Crabtree mushes Sherman's face causing Sherman to then put his hands up along his neck and mimick the choke gesture. This caused an "unsportsmanlike conduct call," which still did nothing for Seattle, but does say a lot of things about the way some of the NFL rules are. 1. Are we in elementary school where it's the person who gets taunted first that gets in trouble?- I think so. 2. Um, we know that in this game people are always smacking people's butts after big plays. It's one I assume a sign of respect, no matter which player is doing it. To say "thanks for playing me the way I would have played you," or "thanks for making it interesting," and many others if I could be inside a football players head.

So let's see in Sherman's mind this is how the story goes- You talk smack before the game. During the game you are probably still running your mouth and we are going back and forth. When I now produce the game ending play and want to say "thanks and good game" you dismiss me- Um Yeah I think I might have a problem with it. (But on the other hand I get it, to be honest, if I was man to man with you and you just robbed me of my shine to get my team into the Super Bowl, don't come at me right away, you might get clocked).

But I'm not even to the good part yet, (and sorry for those who are up to speed, I am trying to catch those up who don't understand or didn't get what was happening). Sherman has two post game interviews right as he is getting off the field.

Erin Andrews interviews him and I don't think he heard the question or even cared, but Sherman goes off into a huge rant getting back at Crabtree...

Here is the transcript:
  
Fox's Erin Andrews: “Take me through it (the interception) ..."
Sherman (screaming): “Well, I’m the best corner in the game. When you try me with a sorry receiver like (Michael) Crabtree, that’s the result you are going to get. Don’t you ever talk about me.”
Andrews: "Who was talking about you?"
Sherman: “Crabtree. Don’t open your mouth about the best or I’m going to shut it for you real quick. “LOB!” (That's the abbreviation for "Legion of Boom," the nickname of the Seahawks' defense.)

So, what's the BIIIIIIG Deal?

Well, the antics continued when he was interviewed about an hour later in the press room when he called Crabtree mediocre.

But why the firestorm and why do I care?

 Social Media erupted after the the Andrews interview- some funny and others saying statements like " I know who I am choosing to root for in the Super Bowl." Memes went crazy- people called Sherman crazy, angry, played him looking like Antoine Dodson etc.

So here's my annoyance, it was funny at first but now people, fans, media etc are taking it waaaay too left. So left that Sherman had to apologize (I'll explain this in a second).

1. Understand Sports World- If you have ever been around sports, athletes or the game in general. You know and understand that the week leading up to the game is literally ALL about the HYPE! you talk smack, coaches other players are fueling the energy that will feed you to prove to whomever is against you that you got what it takes.

When you finally come down off of that adrenaline rush, it might take a minute. Some people cheer and erupt in screaming others, like me, might throw up- over share?, my bad. But add to this, he's carrying with him whatever comments Crabtree put out there, whatever comments he and Crabtree were throwing back and forth and then his attempt to say "good game," gets snubbed. Yup sorry, I might have daggers for you too!

Was it timely? I think what you saw was raw emotion right after making one of the biggest plays of his career, against Enemy No 1.

2. Is it that serious?-- I mean we have heard many more things than just that, so why was this such a big deal. The likes of commentators have gone off. Trent Dilfer basically stated that Sherman lacked class. That he should have used the " stage he had, to tell his story." So let's chat about this which leads me to my next and most important frustration with this. 

Richard Sherman grew up in Compton, CA- Look it up if you don't know why it's a big deal. Sherman made straight A's in High School and was able to go on to Stanford University. He continued that focus on education at Stanford with a high GPA there as well.

So when Dilfer says, use the stage to tell your story- Say the typical, I am blessed to be here because of God, and I am blessed to be here because my life was a triumph over adversity, and I am blessed to be here because this season was a triumph over adversity and it's not over yet. 

Thanks Dilfer, he could have said that ( Mind you-  he still can say that, but I don't think there is anything wrong with what he did or what he said), what I hear is more of a knock on Sherman being the "Angry Black Man" who SHOULD have just shown a bit of humilty and said, I'm so happy to be here in this moment. 

3. What does his education or upbringing have to do with it?
    So everyone freak out because a Stanford educated man acted a little more like a 10 year old in his antics and emotional response. But what does his education or upbringing have to do with it? People are now making comments like "you can take the boy out the hood, but you can't take the hood out the boy." There are so many undertones about what kind of role model he is. --- HE SHOULDN'T HAVE MADE THE CHOKING GESTURE, but his reaction to what he felt happened isn't something he should apologize for. And it doesn't mean he's "reverted." The undertone of this type of messaging is that what Sherman did was not civilized. But tell me, when have you not reacted in the same way at least once, where you rubbed it in a friend's face just a little too much in that board game that you won, or that sporting event, or whatever bet that you made that you now get to hang over their head for as long as you want. We all do things that are a little out of character, but no one else is bringing up our education.

And let's be honest, it's the back and forth smack talking that pumps up the fans, that gets people to continue to feed into the billion dollar industry that is the NFL. 

4. Why does Sherman have to apologize?
  I don't think he needs to, I think we needed to take a step back. Laugh at the stupidity and the one moment where a guy acted with his emotions and impulse because of what WE all build up on game day and let it be. 

Sherman sated the following after the smoke cleared: "It was loud, it was in the moment, and it was just a small part of the person I am," Sherman wrote. "I don't want to be a villain, because I'm not a villainous person."

The responses have been- too late the damage is done. Instead of having the focus on the team, Sherman allowed the team to play second to his antics. Come again?! There are two weeks until the Super Bowl. To be honest, the only people who keep bringing it up is the media. The fans, the jokes on Twitter and Facebook would have ended after last night. But when ESPN continues to replay that moment each time SportsCenter reruns, it is perpetuating something that the rest of us are hopefully ready to put away. 


While I don't dismiss his behavior, the people who should be ashamed of the firestorm that followed is us, the fans, the writers, the bloggers, the news casters etc. 

But don't take my word for it.. You "Sound Off" (courtesy of ESPN).. What are your thoughts, is Sherman just crazy, or did we have it all wrong? 

No comments:

Post a Comment