10.30.2014

Steelers Nation proud and strong: Formula is a mixture of Faith, Tradition and a little bit of Magic



Hey y'all it's your favorite SportsGal89 Innnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn the Building! As I hope many of y'all know I am a HUGE HUGE Pittsburgh Steelers fan. Yes I was born and raised in Southeastern Ohio. In actuality I should be a Bengals fan, but I did grow up in Warren, just outside of Youngstown and a good two hours outside of Pittsburgh. I have spent many a summer in Pittsburgh and my father was and still is a huge Steelers fan. I will say football has been a big part of my life- my father was a defensive coach for our High School Football team when I was growing up, I was a cheerleader in my elementary school for our Pop Warner team. I guess I made the decision for myself to become a Steelers fan in 1996 when we played the Cowboys in the Super Bowl. I haven't looked back since that day. My father recalls though, that during a brief stint in Dallas at the age of 3-4 I was a Broncos fan. I can agree with that considering that I have a huge affinity for John Elway and have had a fan girl moment when at dinner with his family and him sitting a booth away.

Tradition:

Anyway, the reason I come to you is because I am proud of the legacy that is the Pittsburgh Steelers. We are a team that is full of tradition. The organization itself is one of the best in the league and I might argue one of the best in sports in general. There is something to be said about a family that owns a team the way the Rooney's run the Steelers organization. It is a culture and a fabric of their character as a family that lives in the blood of the team and the fans.

We are a 6 time Super Bowl winning team. The only team in the NFL with 6 Super Bowls. The 70s were our season with what can probably go down as the greatest Defense in NFL History- the Steel Curtain.

For those of us who were raised generations after the Steel Curtain glory days, know the history. We have watched the reruns of the "Immaculate Reception." We have waved our terrible towels in homage to the great Mean Joe Greene, Ernie Holmes, L.C Greenwood, and Dwight White, among others of that 70s Steelers Team. Chuck Noll (may he RIP) is a name you respect. His death came as a sad reminder of a close of an era. But there are still some vestiges of this legendary team that lives on in the current fabric of this new Steelers generation.

Faith:

In recent years we have seen our ups and downs, but tradition has ultimately been at the forefront of the image that is the Steelers. Two of our last 6 rings came in the last decade +. We have seen a turnover from an older more seasoned team to a younger team that has a lot of learning to do on both sides of the ball.
 


Some call the last few seasons "development years," for the Steelers- I don't know if I necessarily buy it. But I will say what #SteelersNation has loved about the history of our team is definitely changing. So in that we like we have every season, have to have a little Faith in our team and what they can do. We've seen a rapid "aging out" of our leaders especially when it comes from the defensive side of our ball. And despite his best efforts Dick Lebeau is also learning how to adjust to this fast pace offense that has begun to transform the gridiron. But it isn't going to be pretty it won't be an easy battle, it will be a little tough and it's not going to be comfortable.

MAGIC:
 As it currently sits the Steelers are sitting at 5-3. To say this season was going to be an easy one, would have been really dumb. But we have seen glimpses of amazing strength and power that makes this sports fan a happy girl.

Game 1- vs. Cleveland
   Yes it was Cleveland, but we are also the Steelers. It ended up being a close call. A REAL close call. We dominated with a little flair and something different in the first half of the game. It was that first half that really showed me what the Steelers potential could be. The small glimpses of greatness that this team displayed in the first gave me the most energy that this season would at least be entertaining.






Game 3- vs. Panthers (REDEMPTION)
   Game 2 wasn't as exciting as it was expected to be. We played our division rival- the dirty birds that are the Baltimore Ravens. But Week 3, we had the fire up under us that we actually needed and yes, while it was the Panthers who a lot of doubt is being raised around, it was still a great game to play and the energy that the Steelers had that game and the fire we played with was amazing to watch. Why- Consistency? This game was a solid win for the Steelers. Holding consistent points in each quarter. Our defense caused two turnovers, our total yards, time of possession and penalty numbers were just great! It was the hope I at least was looking for to have a little more Faith that my team would be strong


Game 7 vs. Texans (REDEMPTION part 2)
   The games that followed the Panthers were not as eventful- well depending on which team you were. There was the game against the Buccaneers, where we blew a strong lead and ended up losing by 3. Then there was the game we played the Jaguars and that one we won- but it wasn't pretty. And then there was the blowout from the Browns where we lost 31-10!
Photo Credit- Steelers.com

But finally we were up against the Texans one of the strongest Ds with JJ Watt. The Texans have really turned it around these last few years. By any means it wasn't a blowout. We controlled the 2nd quarter and the defense held us to two field goals in the 4th. It could have been a game that slipped away, but we fought our way for that win and a W is a W.

Game 8 vs. Colts ( Something kind of magical)
  Something must have been buzzzzzzin in Pittsburgh- and I am not just talking about their throwback jerseys-lol.. But the boys from the Steel City were something magical to watch. By now you might have heard about the records broken- Big Ben throwing for 522 yards and on and on and on with the stats. It was something special to watch, Brilliant at it's best. To wake up on Monday morning and to not just be content with waking up a fan of a winning team, but to be satisfied and proud of your team for playing so well was something kind of wonderful.
Photo Credit- Steelers.com


So where do we go from here as we enter Week 9 and the remainder of the season. Here's what, I want my team to do well. To be wonderful and to continue to play with that little bit of magic that we have seen. Will it always be perfect, unfortunately no. But what I saw Sunday, gives me that little extra boost to know that even if this year doesn't end the way we #SteelersNation might hope, the next few years are looking kind of good!

That's all she wrote folks!
 
 






No comments:

Post a Comment