5.21.2010

Around the wire...

Hey ya'll SportsGal89 In the Building...
Welcome back to another edition of your fave new blogger... ;) I hope you are enjoying the show.
This edition is going to be a little glimpse of the world around sports this afternoon. Let me know if I miss anything..

Hockey:
Unless you have been living under a rock, or really don't care about this sport- and I don't know how you could like this sport- THE FIGHTING ALONE IS ENTERTAINING.. anyways we are in the middle of the Stanley Cup Playoff season.
In the East you have the Montreal Canadiens (not such a unique name) and the Philadelphia Flyers, vying for their shot at the Finals. Until last night the Flyers had Montreal in a corner holding the series at 2-0. But in a great play, the Canadiens have managed to stay in the fight and get the series 2-1. I don't have anyone in this series, but watching power plays and some crazy fights is fun for me. I have yet to go to a live game but when I do, you'll be sure that my seat will be behind some glass :)
In the West you have the Chicago Blackhawks- YUCKFEST!! against the coveted San Jose Sharks, YAY!!! You can tell my bias can't you.. Lol. If you don't know I lived in the Bay Area for 8 years, SHARK NATION was a quick draw and I have love for the Sharks. Each year we get better and better and fall short, I am hoping that this year we change that. The series right now is Chicago leading 2-0 going into Game 3 which airs tonight at 8:00pm Est on Versus.. Let's hope the Sharks can come back and take a win tonight! GO SHARKS!!!

Football:
Don't come a knocking if the boat is a-rocking.. In Tennesse looks like things ight be a littel tight for the RB, Chris Johnson. With closing stats for the 2009:
2009 STATS
ATT YDS AVG LONG TD
358 2006 5.6 91 14
Johnson is ready to take a bite out of Titans Wallet and holding out until he gets a better paycheck. Is it smart? With 3 years left on his contract will the Titans front office oblige? I get that atheltes need to make that money, but I just think getting money hungry is a little much and distracts from the real reason we are all on that Gridiron drug: Thursday, Sunday and Monday nights... Jamarcus Russell held out from Oakland during his draft year until he got a ridiculous $68 million, with $31.5 million guaranteed contract- oh and the shame right now DUDE SHARES MY SAME B-DAY! To the freaking year!!! And where did that get Oakland- NO FREAKING WHERE. I understand too though that atheltes need to protect their investments (themselves) their bodies are at risk everyday of that they play. And it has been that way for at least for 8 years if they played through HS and then College. But at any rate, I guess I am just looking for people to play the sport because they love playing the sport, and keep the money deals etc behind the scenes. When it gets out in the public and turns into long drawn out processes, it takes too much away from the game. There I said it!

In other football related news, NEW YORK is bidding to host the Super Bowl in 2014!! WHAT?! Are you crazy?! In the past decade if not longer, the Super Bowl as been in warmer climate, to create an equal playing dynamic and to also keep money in the seats. Let's face it, gone are the days that Sports fans will brave the freezing weather to sit through a 2 hour game, unless it is their home team. I know that unless the Steelers are playing, you will not catch me braving February 38 degree weather for the Super Bowl. You got to be out your damn mind!! So does this mean that this a change in the direction of the SuperBowl? And what does that mean for fans like myself who use the SuperBowl as just a way to enjoy the sport that they love? I guess I will enjoy Dallas next year more than I think...

Baseball:
This weekend begins the fabulous city rivalries.. Ever heard of the Subway Series? Well that kicks off this weekend, a great weekend battle between the NY Mets and the NY Yankees. Fans travel between the two stadiums for this coveted and fun series. Last year the Yanks took it winning 5 of 6 and Sweeping at Mets Citi Field. Let's see what fun will arise this season?

Other city rivalries this weekend:
Bay Bridge Series, but known to Bay Area vets as the "Battle of the Bay" begins this weekend with the SF Giants and the Oakland A's in Oakland. LET's GO A's!!! A's lead the regular series "Battles" 39-35! That's how we do it! I have spent many weekends traveling to these games, rounding up my favorite A's friends and my not so favorite Giants fans (jk, love you all). It will be sad to miss this series, but maybe I can catch the later one in July when we travel accross the Bay to SF Giants Stadium otherwise known as "Phonebook Park". We'll see!

OH LORD: Hot off the wire...
BRETT FARVE RETIRE ALREADY!!! This just in "Brett Favre says he still isn't sure what he's doing next season, but he may have given some indication after visiting with the Southern Miss baseball team.The Minnesota Vikings quarterback told the Golden Eagles on Thursday morning that if they can make it back to the College World Series for the second straight year, he will return for one more season in the NFL." - ESPN AP
GET OUT OF THE GAME OLD MAN!!! GEEZ.. No for realy, I like Favre, but it's time for the ole dog to come up with new tricks. He is a grandfather now for crying out loud, coach or do something else, now is the time to let go and enjoy your life.. Sheesh!

NBA:
The other night I blogged about a Ref's absurd actions. The name of the Ref is Joe DeRosa and he has been suspended without pay for throwing a basketball at a fan.. Here is the link from ESPN's article covering the story and look for the video after
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2010/news/story?id=5205954

And the video.. The worst part is this fool tried to get the fan kicked out! What a jerk!


In more news from the NBA:
NBA Playoffs
In the East:
Boston leads the series 2-0 with Game 3 airing tomorrow night from Boston 8:30pm est. on ESPN

In the West:
Yo I'm stupid for this one:
♫♪
My TEAM bad
My TEAM Swag
My TEAM Win stuff dat ya TEAMS wish They could
...
My TEAM bad, badder than yours
My my TEAM bad, badder than yours
My my my TEAM bad, badder than yours
♫♪

** LAKERS ALL DAY EVERYDAY SportsGal89 In the Building!!! LOVE IT ♥

Lakers lead the series 2-0 against the Phoenix Suns. Game 3 airs Sunfay night at 8:30pm Est on TNT from Phoenix. Can my boys pull a sweep and keep their winning streak going- Let's hope so...

And that's it I'm out..

1 comment:

  1. OMG!!! How could I forget the city that I live in currently...
    BASEBALL City Battles:
    Known as the Beltway Series or Battle of the Beltways
    This weekend if you are in D.C. come watch D.C Nationals take on the Baltimore Orioles!!
    With it's inception in 2005 with the start of the new Nationals team, the series is only a few years old and tied. We'll see which team takes over the edge with this series..

    ReplyDelete