1.11.2011

BCS Championship


Hey y'all it's your favorite sports fan SportsGal89 here with another great addition to this thing we call a blog ;). Tonight I had the pleasure of watching the highly contested BCS Championship Game featuring the Auburn Tigers and the Oregon Ducks. Now, no matter where you stand in the whole BCS match up, those who are arguing that the points system sucks and the various divisions (SEC, PAC-10, Big Ten...) are annoying and that there should be playoffs in order to determine "true" champions and those who like the current way this system is (which is not many of you) would still say that tonight was a pretty interesting game!
From all of the media coverage surrounding the game you knew who the favored team was (WAR EAGLES- Auburn for those of you who don't know). I mean Cam Newton has had his name in the media for a hot minute amidst controversy surrounding his father, his Heisman win, his unbelievable skill and his good looks(oh wait, that was just me. And then you have the freshman #5 Michael Dyer doing work on the field and really setting himself up for a fabulous 2-3 years depending on his NFL aspirations with Auburn. Not to mention the top Defensive Player Fairley (#90) these boys just had an incredible story and for a novice(because I do not follow it half as much as I follow the pros. I mean there are 1) too many teams to count, too many divisions to follow and the point system even confuses me- so while I am a fan of THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY, I only really pay attention to the rest of the teams once we get to the final games leading up to the Bowl games) college football fan such as myself, you get wrapped up in the story behind it all. Now let's not take away from the #2 Ducks, I mean HELLO it's OREGON! A resident of the Bay Area for 8 years, I understand the power of the Ducks in the sports world and what this championship game means for Duck fans and Pac-10 fans in general.
But going in I had my pick (Auburn) but I wasn't stupid, by no means was this game going to be one sided, I knew that Cam's usual "showboatin" wouldn't be possible against the Oregon D and the Ducks D definitely came to play (sacking him a few times and stopping his run game whenever possible). Auburn and Newton need to slow down. I mean given you haven't played for 35 days everyone is all hyped about this game so of course it's going to be a little crazy and intense. The first few drives from Auburn Newton overthrew or was short in his passes. It was clear that they just needed to settle down. When I have kids and they play sports the one thing I am going to continue to tell them even when it's a championship game. It is just another game, one you've played countless times before. Be above the hype, stay focused, play hard and play to the whistle.
The Ducks looked ready, they were prepared. Those little shuffle passes were annoying (only because of the speed- remember I am an NFL baby; so the quickness of a ball being released in a shuffle pass is something I am not very used to). But the Ducks gave you everything you expected, stopping Cam when they could and making it nearly impossible for redzone entrance.
But Auburn held their own. Oregon was the first to get into the redzone, but it means nothing if you can't capitalize on it. Oregon definitely delivered with a field goal leading the scoreboard 3-nil.
But top performer for the Tigers, Freshman Michael Dyer with an amazing story on why he wears the number 5 (btw), delivered. Picking at the Oregon D with 22 carries, for 143 yds. A touchdown by the Tigers early in the 2nd quarter made this an interesting game to watch.
While I can't recap every thing that happened I will give you a few little morsels that I thought were just beautiful. And if I can find some video footage it might make it an even better story ;)
The first one: a safety against Oregon played well defensively by Auburn, turned the ball over late in the 2nd quarter to set Auburn up for another beautiful drive and a 30 yard pass from Newton to Blake for a touchdown and lead of 16-11. Going into the half I knew Auburn still had to settle down, but that this game was not going to be an easy one on either side of the ball.
Opening up the second half: Auburn's ball, no big plays. Defense did their job Auburn scores a FG bringing the lead 19-11. No big plays when the ball returns to the Ducks, except for the Defense on both teams continuing to shut down the other team's "usual" plays.
When the game really changed: A forced fumble by Cam Newton with 5:05 on the clock and the ball recovered at the Auburn 40- I said it before and I will say it again, forced fumbles and interceptions don't mean much if you can't deliver! And Oregon delivered, holding the ball for 2minutes+ and getting into the endzone and finally completing with a touchdown! score now 19-17, Ducks go for a 2-point conversion and tie the game 19-19. By this time it is 11:55pm EST. I'm thinking, yo I could stand to watch this game go into OT- Battle to the death right? Lmao! Auburn had a different story and it all fell into the hands and feet of Michael Dyer!
Dyer ran for 37 yards to the Oregon 23 yard line giving the Tigers a fresh breath to keep moving. Dyer got the ball again came up short-- On the Oregon 1. Now there are 10 seconds left, do you run the ball in or go for the FG early. Twitter and FB blowing up, people saying go for it, go for it, go for it. I agreed with all of them Go for the TD if you don't get it you go for the FG. Well Coach Chizik also agreed and let Cam attempt a QB sneak for the TD. Obviously it didn't work so Auburn went for the FG with 2 seconds remaining and won the game. Closing out a wonderful undefeated season, a Heisman win and taking home the BCS Championship Trophy for the SEC.
If you missed it, you must have the best excuse ever to have missed it, because it was simply AMAZING. Go to Espn.com for footage from last nights game.
And Congratulations to the Auburn Tigers on the win and the Oregon Ducks for putting up a GREAT fight!

No comments:

Post a Comment