1.15.2011

Playoff Opener Round 2!!

Hey y'all it's your favorite sports blogger SportsGal89 in the building and I am SUPER Stoked to bring you this special edition of the playoff analysis of the 2011 season!!
This will be a little bit of notes from the game/stream of consciousness and an actual analysis of the game! So here goes nothing, I hope you enjoy. But first let me say that one your girl was rocking her FULL Steelers gear in practically Ravens country. I mean I was wearing the Steelers scarf, the Bettis Jersey, the Steeler Coat EVERYTHING! I was ready to go and was excited. I had some people talk crap to me before the game but I was still confident that our team would come back strong.
However, before I get into this whole thing, while I never said it, OF COURSE I WAS NERVOUS. There are a few things I go into when I think about my teams in the big game- one play to the whistle and most importantly play as if this game was your last. Do not give up, or I will be on the first plane to whoop all ya'll behinds!
So now to the game!
"5 minutes to kickoff and I am feeling a bit nervous in my stomach, but fully confident that we can kick some butt tonight! Let's Go!

First Quarter:
Kickoff! And it's GAME TIME! Suisham kicks the punt and also makes the tackle KILLING a 52 yard punt return by the Ravens Webb. And ALREADY seeing the black and purple makes me want to yack! I cannot express how much I despise this team and how much I thrive on this particular battle and rivalry. For the record I love TOMLIN! Why, because although he challenged early, I LIKE that he challenged early.. It means that he's not going to wait until he has more time, but actually look at the play on the field and make strong decisions in order to bring his team closer to victory.

Game continues:
So Ed Reed has a hold of Ward's face mask and we get the penalty. I don't mind Ward getting a penalty, I mean it was a hard hit, but it was a legitimate hit, it wasn't anything that wouldn't have been cleared. But the problem, you have Hines by himself defending his QB and after he body slams the defender to the ground a whistle blows and Hines is ATTACKED by 3 other Ravens defenders-- not to mention Ed Reed's clear grab of the face mask! And as I watch the replay I get infuriated even more! Dang it! Some BS!

Moving on I realize that while this is a battle, we still have to play. We need to figure out how to break out and actually pull away from this Ravens D. And clearly we did and do, with 6:18 left in the first quarter, we drive to the Ravens endzone, pass interference on the Ravens and we get in enough movement for a touchdown! SWEET!
So early on there is a battle, Ike Taylor takes on the Housh with a headbuttt that doesn't cost a penalty but will surely cost him cash in the end.

2nd Quarter: I am tight! Why? BECAUSE I SAY IT ALL THE TIME- PLAY TO THE WHISTLE. Off some dumbness that even I MISSED.. Cory Redding picks up a forced fumble by Ben and runs it in for a TD. It was so slow motion that even I turned my head from the TV thinking we are going to commercial, only to find out that no, actually Redding was the bright one in the crayon box and scored a legit touchdown. 1) how did I miss that and 2) how does the team not play to the whistle?! Reminds me of the Oregon vs. Auburn game and the crazy Dyer run. So now the game is 14-7 and I am like okay we have an all out battle!

I am not sure what the time was, but we got beaten with our penalties.. One in particular Keenan Lewis pushes a guy in the back and then immediately threw his arms up as if he didn't do anything wrong. Clearly he did! And my thoughts, clearly the Steelers are playing as if they don't want a Superbowl (yeah I said it, SUPERBOWL- my feelings you get into the playoffs in the position that the Steelers are in and while I say you focus one game at a time, the Steelers are a caliber team that the final game, the Superbowl is the one that they should be focused on). While I always say play each game as one game at a time, this is not the time! FOR SURE! It IS the playoffs! This is the time that you play with all you got.

There was a HUGE 14yard play from Ben to Sanders for a first down. Moore rushed again for a first down and the Steelers are back in this game. While I am pleased with this drive, I notice the clock and I think dang, we DEFINITELY need to score before the half. There was a HUGE 14 yard play by Ben to Sanders for a first down and then Moore had another quick rush for a first down shortly after. However,Suisham misses the field goal, sadly we do not produce and we end up going into the Half down by 14 21-7.

Coach Cohwer during the halftime show stated that if he was in the locker room, he would tell his guys to play ball and DON'T PANIC. And going into the second half I wonder if Tomlin told HIS boys the same thing. And boy do the boys settle down! Ahh Mr. Ryan Clark is up against Ray Rice and forces Rice's fumble (which he rarely makes). But AGAIN nothing is worth a turnover if you can't produce, AND boy do my boys produce. A sweet TD to Heath Miller puts the game at 21-14. I write: Steelers find our rhythm, so let's hope it sticks and we can take the win.
Clark ends up being the BIG play maker in the 3rd quarter!! Shortly following the Heath Miller TD, Flacco throws a pass intended for Heap, BUT Ryan Clark is there for the pick and Steelers get the ball back!! Ben connects a sweet little bullet to #86 Hines Ward- our 2006 Superbowl MVP, for a TD. And now we HAVE a ball game 21-21! Let's Go STEELERS, WOOOOOO!
So now after being down by 14 before the half, we make it all up in the second half. So thank you Tomlin and Coach Cohwer for making it clear to our boys that this IS just another game, don;t panic and let's get the win!!
So now all of a sudden the game takes an amazing turn for the better (as a Steeler fan!!) Flacco fumbles the snap and it's recovered by the Steelers. What I like about the Steelers, they make the most of the forced turnovers. We get in good field goal range and Suisham for the kick and we take the lead 24-21. What is amazing is that we are down by 14 and we don't even let that phase us in the second half, it was almost like 2 complete different games. We hold the Ravens to a total of 3 points in the second half! Ravens answer our kick with one of their own and now the game is 24-24. There was a sweet little pass to Antonio Brown for 58 yards, that was a reminder fo the Justin Tuck helmet grab in the Giants Superbowl win against the Pats.
Mendenhall digs for a TD and KEMO doesn't go a game without disappointing and drawing a penalty, but at least now the game is 31-24 with a minute and change remaining. Flacco does nothing with their possession of the ball and the Steelers get the ball back, with Big Ben kneeling and the Steelers moving on in this playoff run. "
But don't take my word for it watch the footage:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81db3c64/GameDay-Ravens-vs-Steelers-highlights

What I liked and where I think the Steelers were successful:
Ryan Clark! Ziggy Hood and the sack against Flacco. Our ability to keep our heads in the game and not get discouraged, after the first half. Keeping the ball out of Bouldin's hands was crucial!
One thing we have to look at for next game, T.P #43, there were some plays that he didn't follow through, it wasn't like him. So hopefully his connections are a little tighter next week.
It's funny how after watching the game that matters to me, the game I thought lasted forever. That watching the game that doesn't matter to me seems to go by so quickly. I liked the Falcons, I thought they played very well, but up against the Pack and Aaron Rodgers OUCH! Tonight was definitely the night that the "Bird Epidemic" continues! 48-21 the Pack stops the Falcons and advances. I would say that I was going to be surprised, but Aaron Rodgers is the man that Green Bay needed after releasing Brett Favre. And the best thing is, with Favre ending his career the way he is, the Pack can move forward into a new era and a new legacy under Rodgers.
So what I gave my predictions last week Steelers, Pack, Jets(Pats)and the Bears. So for I am up 2 we'll see how the next 2 goes. But I will be rooting for the J-E-T-S Jets, Jets, Jets. Why? The Jets owe it to themselves after that horrible 45-3 and to be honest I want home field advantage moving forward to drop the Jets after they BEST us!
So here is to the next set of games!

No comments:

Post a Comment