9.16.2011

Week 1- what does it predict for the rest of the season?

Hey Y'all SportsGal89 in the building! How you doin? Well what a WEEK 1 in the NFL, huh?! If any of you watched the highlights Week 1 was a series of some unpredictable games and some amazing records being broken.
  Let's start with the teams that didn't fair well at all despite their strong record and history- I'll start with my Steelers. A disappointing ASS WHOOPIN we faced by the Ravens. I won't go into much detail since I spent a whole blog talking about just that game after it ended. But let's just say the Steelers played like they were back in middle school, just learning the ropes.. Lol.. Oh gosh, I NEVER want to see weak play like that again...

Then let's move on to Indy, losing Peyton before the season even got underway sent a shock through the sports world. What would happen to Indy and what would it mean for the rest of the NFL. Well with Indy picking up Cary Collins out of retirement, I thought seasoned veteran with a great organization- Indy shouldn't be that far out of the contending teams. WRONG! Indy lost badly to the Texans and they were my top pick. It is devastating thinking about this, considering that Peyton was the closest to Brett Favre's  most games played/started.. and  now that streak comes to an end.

But enough about the downers let's talk about the RECORDS! Records that were broken and it was a beautiful sight to see..
  Let's start wit Cam Newton- his debut in the regular season. The Panthers lost but unlike many rookies of late who come off of great years and careers in college, Newton made a name for himself in his first game. He threw for over 400 yards and had sports commentators and fans going crazy. Unexpected maybe, but let's remember this is Cam Newton. While there is always generally a little gap between College and the pros, there are some who are able to manage the shift with ease- it seems that Newton is one of those greats. Will he continue to have phenomenal games? There will be ups and downs, but let's be real. I mean he made it amazing for the regular season game 1. So congrats to Cam Cam for that one, did I mention he has a beautiful smile? Watching football is not half bad when there is a beautiful smile involved- why do you think I like the 86 so much?! Hey Hines!

Next record, I can't really stand Tom Brady or the Patriots. But I will give ANY player--- even one's I despise props for the game that Brady and the Pats played- I just wish that they weren't so dang UGH about it. Geez, his smug face during press conferences and does Belichick EVER smile! I mean EVER! He looks like a broke down Rocky always wearing those damn cut-off sweatshirts.. Now I'm done..So as I was saying the Patriots had ONE HELL of a game against the Miami Dolphins, but would we expect anything different from NFL Vets? I mean it's not *cough* 18-1 *cough*; I had to do it.. But they had a great game, records broken where do we begin. I guess I will start with Brady's pass to Welker -- 99 Yard TD pass that was beautifully executed and something this football fan would love to see on a rerun anytime.

How about the fact that Brady went 517 passing yards in one game.. 517! Congrats, even though you are a "Ken Doll"

Monday Night Football wouldn't have been anything extraordinary had it not been for the double header and the beautiful game the Raiders played against the Broncos. I have said it before and I will say it again, the Raiders in my opinion like the Redskins will be better teams than they are now when their Owners move out of the way and let the people they hired do the job. I mean, I can't believe I am going to give him props, buy Jerry Jones for as much as he is ALWAYS the front man on TV and the one who speaks on behalf of the team blah, blah, blah. At least he doesn't do anything to intervene with the progress of the team per say. Outwardly it seems that he allows the coaches to do their jobs to an extent but steps in when necessary. Okay, maybe he isn't a great example but you get where I am going. Al Davis and Snyder are too hands on! They negatively impact the progress of their teams because they ultimately usurp the power that they give Head Coaches and Managers. But the Raiders on Monday night- well let's be real, later into the game looked as if they were a great organization. The pieces seemed to fit (I'll get into the penalties in a minute)  I LOVE Jason Campbell, I was sad to see him get the ish he got before he left DC. I was disappointed that he was packed up to Oakland because my opinion and it still is, is that the Raiders is a QB's wasteland. You don't survive after being a QB in Oakland. But Monday night Campbell and the boys in silver and black did a fair job of exciting me- again penalties aside. I was excited to see them play, excited to see the execution and excited to see a little magic come back to a city and a franchise that I think has been missing it for so long. And the ultimate moment of glory- Raiders Kicker Janikowski kicks a beautiful 63-yard FG-- an ultimate record for the ages!!

But even in these shining moments, the Raiders Broncos game also held it's own record- 25 penalties! TWENTY-FIVE. I don't think I have seen that many flags thrown in one game. The tweets about the flags were hilarious- comments from " I won't be surprised if the Refs start pulling out a yellow flag rope like clowns do", to "I wonder if the Refs have as many tissues in their pockets as they do flags". I myself even wondered if Willie Wonka had it wrong and instead of the everlasting gobstopper he should have created an everlasting flag thrower (not funny, I try). But anyways, at the end of the day, I think atheletes need to remember that the flags aren't just brutal for them in terms of yards given and yards lost, but it's brutal for the fans to be up until practically  2 or 3 am because they decide they don't know the difference between offsides, false starts, late hits, horse collars and the like.

But what I can say is this, Week 1 was amazing! I'm ready for Week 2!
That's all she wrote folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment