3.09.2014

The things that will always catch my eye...

Hey Y'all It's your favorite SportsGal89 Innnnnnnnnn the Buildin'... If you follow my posts on Twitter @njc89, I mentioned that I was feeling like I was getting my NFL Drought over with. What does that mean? I am a HUGE NFL fan, well correction, Football is my sport, whether it be in college or pro. And then other sports come second. When football season is over I tend to go into hibernation until championships for conferences, playoffs for NBA and World Series moments begin to dominate ESPN.

Well, today I got hooked back into NBA, which is saying a lot considering, despite today's win, my team #Lakers, have been the bottom of the NBA this season.

Anyway, I digress. While I am supposed to be over the drought there are always going to be moments that catch my eye and make me go back to my one true sports love.. Today, the post was about former Steelers player Rashard Mendenhall who is now retiring from the league at 26.

Reading the article, where he decided to tell his fans that he was retiring was interesting. Because it still didn't answer the question why? I mean he's 26, in this life, while it's not perfect, this is not the time you would normally see an NFL player retiring, except when they are not healthy- and there in lies Rashard's situation. While it might not be the cause of him ending his career, it is a logical reason for anyone looking at the course of his career to realize why. Having torn his ACL early in his career and then recovering from a shoulder injury, it's not easy in this game to really bounce back. For some it reads liability and in a day and age where salary caps matter, the financial burden that an organization would take on an injury prone athlete is not very likely to raise high on the spectrum. It's sad though, because as fans you genuinely like the players that you cheer for day in and day out. I like Mendenhall as a Steeler, I was sad to see him go to Arizona and there were times that I definitely cheered for him in Arizona, but the reality is they are athletes, their job is to have a healthy body, and for some that is limiting.

I wish him well and hope that whatever the next step in his journey it is a fruitful one.


That's all she wrote folks.....

No comments:

Post a Comment